It’s good when technology moves forward.
Even better when it races ahead
From the racetrack to the road: thanks to the precise interplay between perfectly coordinated drive and running gear components, the Golf R offers an impressive driving experience. The powerful TSI engine with turbocharged technology, combined with the 4MOTION permanent all-wheel drive and 7-speed DSG gearbox, ensures maximum enjoyment behind the wheel. It's like it was made for motor sports.Book a test drive
The powerful one. The Golf R
Perfect grip: the 4MOTION all-wheel drive
Water, ice, bumpy surfaces? No worries. The 4MOTION four-wheel drive in your Golf R ensures the engine’s power is distributed across all four wheels where necessary. This prevents spinning wheels and blockages and your sports car gains more traction on almost any surface. Combined with the 7-speed DSG gearbox, it accelerates efficiently without losing traction in a wide range of situations.
Practically made for motorsport
With the Golf R, you're in pole position on the racetrack, too. Its crowning glory is a 228 kW (400Nm) engine with TSI turbocharger technology which knows how to exert its power on the tarmac. Thanks to direct injection and smart turbocharging, as well as a remarkable torque, the powertrain ensures breathtaking performance and an impressive driving experience.
Perfect if you love those goosebumps moments
The racetrack is practically made for your Golf R. You’ll notice by the time you’ve experienced breathtaking acceleration and pure goosebumps with Launch Control at the start. Particularly if you switch off Electronic Stability Control. Then you’ll have control of the vehicle even when it's at its limits.
Adaptive Chassis Control (DCC)
From comfortable to super sporty
Fast or relaxed – with the adaptive chassis control DCC, you can adapt the running gear to your own driving style and the road surface. With driving profile selection, it's easy. At the touch of a button or via your infotainment system’s touchscreen. With the extra Race mode developed for the Golf R, you can take motorsport onto the road.
The Golf R's track pedigree means it demands to be driven. And no matter what your style, there is a mode made for you - Eco, Comfort, Normal, Race and Individual.
When you want to tear up the open road, Race mode will provide faster throttle response and shift points, plus damping is increased, which removes movements of the body structure.
Keep an eye on your performance
The Performance Interface gives you deep insight into the technology and provides information on your Golf R’s performance, so you can get the maximum out of it. It shows current engine values like boost gauge and G-meter or the current performance direct right on the screen of your infotainment system. On the racetrack, the lap timer measures lap times and displays current longitudinal and lateral acceleration.
The racing line. Even in the design
With its dynamic shape and sporty details, the Golf R has an exciting look:
- Front: Black underlay LED headlights with daytime running light and dynamic cornering light, Golf R exclusive front bumper with sports air intake.
- Side: Sill extension in black gloss, R logo on side panels and boot lid, mirror covers in matt chrome or optionally available in carbon or black gloss.
- Rear: Bumper with R-specific diffuser in black gloss, LED tail lamps in dark red 3D with running indicators.
Performance you can feel
The interior design takes it easy with the exterior and creates the perfect motorsport feeling. A modern cockpit, sports front bucket seats with Vienna leather appointed upholstery*, high-quality leather details and a strong R logo complete the sporty look.
Overseas model shown.
Discover Media Navigation
Guided by innovation
The Discover Media Navigation system comes with all the features of the 8" Composition Media Display, but with a built-in navigation system offering 2D and 3D (bird’s eye) map views. Offering a wealth of innovative functions that leave virtually nothing to be desired, it's designed to make sure you stay on course, or help you explore a wide variety of attractions off course.
Blind Spot Monitor. Rear Traffic Alert
Your Golf R can look over your shoulder for you
The standard Blind Spot sensor warns you about vehicles in your blind spot using an LED indicator in the exterior mirror. And if you still attempt to change lanes despite the warning, it starts to flash to attract more attention. The integrated Rear Traffic Alert warn you if any vehicles start to approach when you are reversing out of a parking space. If you fail to respond to its warning, the system can 'prevent' a collision by applying the brake.
Adaptive Cruise Control
Let's keep the distance
Adaptive Cruise Control lets you set the speed you want to travel and the gap you want to allow between you and the car in front, making life easier on long journeys.
Front Assist with City Emergency Braking
A moment of shock? Not in your Golf R
The standard Front Assist with City Emergency Braking can warn you in the event of critical situations, support you with braking or even automatically apply the brake in an emergency.
Charismatic, confident, and powerful - experience it all.
Limited in number, but not in power. This ultimate hot hatch is designed to take on life at top speed. Equipped with a turbocharged engine, sport-tuned suspension, and a dual titanium exhaust system, the Golf R is ready to perform at a split-second’s notice.
Dual Titanium Exhaust system
The R Performance titanium exhaust system not only looks great, but it sounds great too. Developed by one of the world's leading manufacturers, Akrapovič's lightweight construction makes it resistant to high temperatures. It also produces a unique sporty sound that any enthusiast will love.
Performance Brake system
Calling for a high-performance brake system, the Golf R Performance does not disappoint. Combining drilled brake discs and special brake pads with 19" Spielberg wheels weighing in at only 9.6kg. All topped off with front-fitted custom R Performance brake calipers, things get particularly racy.
Deactivating the 250km/h speed limiters allows you to reach maximum potential with your Golf R Performance.
The exclusive rear spoiler ensures extra downforce measuring with up to 20kg specially for the Golf R and also improves roadholding.
Infotainment & Connectivity
Active Info Display
See exactly the information that would like to see
Classic speedometer or high-resolution navigation map? With the Active Info Display with its sporty R look, you can have both at the same time. You can also access various information profiles, where you can find out even more driving data, as well as the classic displays such as the speedometer, rev counter and mileage recorder. This is quick and intuitive with the multifunction sports steering wheel.
- High-resolution 12.3 in TFT-LED colour display
- Different views available
- Visual display of various driver assist systems
Hear the sound. See the road
Standard 'Discover Media' Navigation System
Easy to read and easy to operate. Besides looking great, the available sleek glass display helps make the map more prominent, while dynamic route guidance assists you with turn by turn information.
- 8-inch TFT-LED colour display with touchscreen with proximity sensor
- FM radio and diversity aerial for ideal reception
- eight speakers -MP3-ready CD player
- SD card slot and one USB port (type A)
- suitable for mobile phone connection via Bluetooth
The optional ‘Discover Pro’ Navigation System**Addition to Discover Media.
- For those who want more: the navigation system "Discover Pro".
- 9.2-inch glass-covered TFT-LED touchscreen with colour display, proximity sensors and gesture control.
Use your apps in your Volkswagen as well
The apps from your phone in your car
Access your smartphone’s screen, selected apps, maps, and music through App-Connect on your car's touchscreen. You can do this thanks to three innovative technologies: Apple CarPlay®, Android Auto™ and MirrorLink® interfaces. The App-Connect allows you to conveniently use selected apps and content right in your Volkswagen, that is easier than ever.
Optional DYNAUDIO Sound System
Perfect sound every time
Sitting in your car to listen to music? A clear choice. After all, the optional DYNAUDIO Excite premium sound system made by the Danish hi-fi specialists Dynaudio is guaranteed to bring a smile to every music lovers’ face. Pure bass notes, crystal clear highs and a sound that is perfectly adapted to your vehicle’s acoustics.
- 8 loudspeakers, 1 sub-woofer and a digital 10-channel amplifier with a total output of 400 watts
- Optimum sound thanks to Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
Features & Model
Features of Golf R
- 2.0TSI with 228kW and 400Nm
- 4MOTION All-Wheel Drive
- 19" Black Pretoria Alloy Wheels
- Adaptive Chassis Control (DCC) with. Driver Profile Selection
- "R" exclusive exterior and interior treatments
- LED headlights with dynamic cornering lights
- 8" Discover Media Sat. Nav and 12.3" Active Info Display
- Sports front bucket seats with 'Vienna' leather appointed upholstery*
Features of Golf R Performance
- Dual titanium exhaust system
- Performance brake system
- Deactivating the 250km/h speed limiters
- Rear spoiler
Disclaimer by Volkswagen
- 1. The information provided on the Volkswagen New Zealand website is for information purposes only
- 2. A Volkswagen New Zealand reserves the right to extend, withdraw or change all offers *Prices are shown in New Zealand dollars, include GST and exclude on road costs
- 3. Weekly finance price is subject to change due to interest rates*. Please see the full terms and conditions for Volkswagen Finance for more information. www.volkswagen.co.nz/finance
- 4. Fuel consumption is based on the combined fuel consumption figure
- 5. International models might be shown for illustrative purposes only, and New Zealand specifications may vary
- 6. Some colours in these images are not available in New Zealand, the product guide contains the correct colours available to the New Zealand market
- 7. Additional and optional accessories may have an effect on fuel efficiency. Optional accessories and add-on packages are available at an additional cost
- 8. App-Connect is compatible for selected apps with the latest smartphone versions of iOS and Android, active data service, and connection cable (sold separately)
- 9. Safety technologies are designed to assist the driver, but should not be used as a substitute for safe driving practices
- 10. Leather appointed seats have a combination of genuine and artificial leather, but are not wholly leather